Download Now (amdk6upd.exe)
Read Me First
Microsoft® Windows® 95 Update for AMD-K6®-2/350 and Above Patch for Windows 95 OEM SR2 and above fixes a software timing loop that is sensitive to processor frequency and is not a processor erratum. Please note that this patch will not resolve issues associated with any other versions of Windows 95 other than the OEM SR2 version.
To determine the version that you have on your system, please read below. If you are not sure which version of Windows 95 you have, you can find out simply by checking your System Properties. To do this, right mouse click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". An OEM SR2 system will show a designator, such as "4.00.9500 B" as the version. The number may vary slightly, but the letter designator will be a "B" for the OSR2 version. Version designators without a "B", such as an "A" or nothing after the number, cannot utilize this patch.
Windows 95 may have been preinstalled on your computer. These installations are referred to as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) installations. For more information on the different versions of Windows 95, see "How to Determine the Version of Windows 95 in Use."
If you are starting Windows 95 OSR2, OSR2.1, or OSR2.5 on a computer with an AMD-K6-2 processor running at speeds of 350 MHz and above, you may receive one of the following error messages:
- Device IOS failed to initialize.
- Windows Protection Error.
- You must reboot your computer.
The first error is a result of a divide exception in IOS.VXD, the second is due to a similar error within ESDI_506.PDR or SCSIPORT.PDR. This problem is very intermittent at 350MHz. Note that it is necessary to reboot the computer after the error occurs. If the error does not occur, the system will run normally.
Note: This download is not intended for use on computers running Microsoft® Windows® 98. This issue has been addressed in Microsoft® Windows® 98.
- Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.X
How to Download
1. Create a folder by right-clicking on the desktop, click New, and then click Folder. Type a name for the folder and press enter.
2. Click the Next link to go to the list of download sites. Choose a download site and click AMDK6UPD.EXE to begin downloading. In the File download dialog box that appears on your screen, click Save Program to Disk.
3. Choose to save the file in the folder you just created, then click Save.
4. Open that folder and double-click amdk6upd.exe to install the program files. Be sure to read the "Read-Me" files for additional information.
How to Use
You don't need to do anything after installing.
How to Uninstall
Using Windows Explorer, locate the file AMDK6_UN.INF in the Windows\INF\QFE folder, right-click on the file AMDK6_UN.INF, and choose Install. You will be prompted for the Windows 95 installation CD or diskettes. Choose the appropriate path. You may be prompted to replace the newer file with an older version of the file. To uninstall this update, choose to Replace the newer file. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.